There are several things I believe are 100% worth making from scratch, especially when they are easy and simple. ESPECIALLY when they are effortless!
So this week, you should REALLY try homemade oatmeal. It's ridiculously delicious, takes zero effort (other than buying a new type of oats), and the texture is incredible - no gloppy nasty cementy mess!
Now, I have to warn you - you MUST use steel-cut oats. Do NOT use rolled oats! The texture of the steel-cut makes all the difference in the world for texture. Also, if you double the recipe, you have enough for 2 servings of breakfast, and enough leftover to make my delicious Oatmeal Bread :) (Yes, I got the recipe for my homemade oatmeal from my oatmeal bread.) If you've never seen steel-cut oats before, you will see an immediate difference when you pop open that canister. You can get it in any grocery store, usually on the top shelf. Quaker sells them in a smaller dark blue canister.
Homemade Oatmeal
3 oz. (1/2 c.) steel-cut oats (NOT ROLLED!)
12 oz. (1 1/2 c.) water
1-2 Tbsp. butter or cream
Pinch salt, or to taste
Toppings/Mix-ins (brown sugar, maple syrup, raisins, chopped apples, cinnamon sugar, sliced strawberries or peaches)
Mix oats and water. Bring to a simmer and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add butter and desired mix ins (my favorite is just brown sugar!) and enjoy.
And I do mean, enjoy. (I've made it two or three days in a row, and will make it again tomorrow!)
No comments:
Post a Comment