Pages

Friday, October 30, 2009

Delicious AND Easy, Part II -- Pot Roast!

I've had some good feedback from the Easy AND Delicious Honey Wheat Roll Recipe. (If you haven't tried it, you should!) Now, I'm going to give you an Easy AND Delicious main dish to go with the bread. This pot roast is OUT. OF. THIS. WORLD. My brother didn't even sit down to eat - he just stood over the meat, cutting pieces off and eating them until he was full. It's easy and delicious, good enough to serve to company, doesn't require any attention, AND the meat was incredibly cheap! I had never heard of a "Cross Rib Roast" before, but I would recommend using this cut of meat. I only bought it because it was on sale -- but I would definitely pay full price for it. There is something that makes food taste better when you saved more than you spent on it, though! I am sure using a different cut of meat would also be a success - the cross rib roast just has a large ribbon of fat running through it that helps keep it tender and moist. (As you are cutting it, be aware that one small end of the roast will be really marbled, rendering it almost inedible.)

I used a 3.5 lb roast and the 2-hour at 275* variation and it was absolutely delectable. I also cut up a bunch of veggies (carrots, potatoes, parsnips, onion) and threw it in the bottom of the pan. The potatoes soaked up all the juices and were incredibly tender and delicious without being mealy - my favorite!

Cross Rib Roast

2-lb. cross rib roast
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. salt
2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried rosemary

Brush roast with vinegar. Make a paste with remaining ingredients (I used a mortar and pestle) and apply to meat. Roast meat at 450° F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and cook for 40-60 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 125° F. (Variation: Reduce heat to 275° F and roast for 75-90 minutes.) Remove from oven; cover loosely with foil and let stand 15-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment