FIRST, I'm going to make myself exercise. I was originally going to buy a gym membership but hellloooooo, $200 when I might go twice a week, and will be gone starting in April for 4 straight months? Yeah, I don't think so. I have recently discovered my love for hula hooping (see below post!) and I have long had the Carmen Electra Aerobic Striptease videos... now, before you go judging me, there are 5 DVDs. One of them is called "fit to strip" and it's just a workout video. And believe me, it is a GOOD workout. I can only go 10-15 minutes without getting horribly out of breath! So I'm going to buy a hula hoop and just hula hoop for 15-20 minutes and alternate that with doing the Fit to Strip. I really do recommend those videos... they're amazing! But since I have no "personal life" to "spice up," I'll stick with the exercise portion.
SECOND, I'm going to spend a lot less money on food. I HAVE to stop eating out. It's such a great temptation for a student. I just have to make cooking a priority (which is easy for me!) and make myself eat more healthy foods (which goes along with New Year's Resolution [hereinafter labeled NYR] #1). Emily and I came up with a few really good rules - eat out only on the weekends, no soda after 2 pm, and only eat something if it has some nutritional value. (This is how I justify cheese and ice cream - DAIRY.) This NYR also brings me into new and very unfamiliar territory. Coupon... clipping. I've NEVER done it before. But I did this past week, shopped at Harmon's only for sales, and came home with $80 worth of groceries, including (3) 3-pound packages of chicken breasts, a 2-pound package of pork chops, a 2-pound beef roast, tons of fruits and veggies, and even some more expensive staple items. SO exciting! But if anyone has any tips on saving money on groceries, please share! I'd LOVE to get some help!
THIRD, I'm going to answer my phone more. This is weird but if you know me, I'm horrible about answering my phone. So I'm going to answer it more. This is a big thing. Don't laugh at me.
FOURTH, I'm going to actually do my calling. Last year the bish gave me a calling that didn't really matter and I didnt' have to do it (rest hymn coordinator... so easy to do without) but this year because I'm a Gospel Doctrine teacher, I want to make sure I'm well-prepared and can engage my class. I'm excited about it.
FIFTH, I am going to live by a budget (which relates to NYR #2). It's SO hard for me to make myself regulate my spending. I made a budget sheet, which involves putting a significant amount of money into savings every week and limiting my free spending money. I'm excited about it. Hopefully I can stick to it.
SIXTH, I'm not going to do homework on Sundays. This is sooo hard when you're in law school. But I've realized that it's do-able. I just have to focus during the week and not put it off until Sunday.
FINALLY, I'm going to live by the 9-5 school schedule. School is so much easier to do if you force yourself to get on campus at a reasonable hour and stay until 5. I've been amazed at how much I get done, how much better prepared I am, and how much more focused I am. I highly recommend it.
That's about it for now. The BYU-Oklahoma party went incredibly well (hello, did you SEE the game?!). I realized I left my camera at home, so I'm going to try to get my mom to send it out. I'm also going to start posting some of the recipes I'm making. If there are any specific requests for a recipe, let me know and I'll post it!
Tonight's dinner is Slow Cooker Beef Roast with Mushroom Gravy, mashed potatoes, and green beans. (2-2.5 lb boneless roast, cut into 6 equal pieces, put in slow cooker, mix together: 2 can cream of mushroom, 1 pkg lipton onion soup mix, 1/2 c. water, pour over, cook on low 7-8 hours. Thin gravy with water to reduce saltiness then thicken back up with cornstarch before serving.) The whole dinner is going to end up being around $8, if that. I bought the roast on sale, the potatoes on sale, the green beans in bulk, and the cream of mushroom in bulk. Yummm! PS, who doesn't love slow cooker meals?! They're my new favorites. I found a rare gem - a reader-submitted slow-cooker cookbook (in LOWE'S of all places!) and I'm working through the ones that look really good.
Tomorrow's dinner is Lime Baked Halibut with Almond Rice Pilaf and Sauteed Zucchini and Carrots. Soooo healthy, soooo yummy. The original recipe calls for Tilapia but the last time I made it my dad got mad and told me no more tilapia - "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY EAT?!" So I've upgraded to halibut, a similarly firm-fleshed white fish that will hopefully hold up to the lime bake-age just as well.
photos courtesy foodnetwork.com
S

Most if these sound like my new years resolutions. Good luck with everything! And let me be the first to say yum! Our family is in need of some new recipes so I better pick up that cookbook soon!
ReplyDelete