So Thursday I went and made him waffles, then didn't see him until that night, when we grabbed burgers, had presents, and went rock climbing. It was fun except for my minor injuries (like taking an elbow to the head from Adam's roommate, thanks Paul) and Adam telling me that the ring wasn't going to be ready for two more weeks. Now, I knew that every guy lied about the ring being ready. But Adam was always so incredibly honest with me! And, let's be honest, I had waited so long that two more weeks wouldn't kill me, so I resigned myself to this sad fate and went on my merry way.
The next morning, Adam, Brian, (roommate) and Madi (roommate's friend) and I were all going skiing. We were really excited because Adam's cousin Brandon is a manager at Sundance and was able to get us comped passes, so we had a free ski day. At the beginning of the day, Adam said, "So I think we should ski for a few hours, then go get food at the restaurant at the top of the mountain." I replied, "No no, that's okay, I know it's expensive and I brought some food. I should be fine." And then Brian replied, "NO! We're going to go eat at the top!" Now, Brian and Adam both are cheap and we all know resort food is insanely expensive... so that sort of set my feelers off. But to be honest, I really did believe the ring wasn't ready, and Brian likes Madi so I thought maybe it was because of Madi. Plus, Adam wasn't acting nervous at all so I was positive it wasn't happening that day. Plus, what kind of goofball takes an engagement ring up in the snow?!
We ski all day and have a blast. Around 2:30, I finally put my foot down and say, "I'm hungry, and I want to eat!" So we head up the chair lift all the way to the top. It had been foggy earlier but the fog had lifted a little and it was just gorgeous. We de-clad and get into the restaurant, and the girl behind the counter goes, "Sorry, the kitchen closed 5 minutes ago." LAAAAAME!!!! So, hungry monster Sarah comes out and says "Let's just ski back down to the bottom now so I can eat. Let's go!" And ever-patient Adam says, "No, we're already here, let's just warm up by the fire and we can eat some of your snacks." We do just that with Brian and Madi. I'm off in la-la land, checking my texts and emails and ready for Adam to take me to the bottom of the mountain and FEED ME. When I'm ready to go, Adam says, "Hey, would you guys want to ski Bishop's Bowl down to the bottom?" (NO. That's a black diamond, are you crazy?) "Come on, at least come look at it with me so we can see whether we want to do it." (At this point, I'm actually irritated because I'm really hungry and Adam knows I don't like difficult ski slopes. But I go with him anyway.)
We tromp out into the snow (me pretty dang slowly... walking in the snow in ski boots is NOT easy!) and over to the edge of Bishop's Bowl. I immediately veto it and say "Absolutely NOT. Let's go." In true Adam form, and in the way he has done at least a million times before, he goes, "Man, this is gorgeous! Let's hike up that little hill to get a better picture." So, off we go. One tiny little fleeting thought passed through my mind - is this it?! - and then the rational side took over. (You've thought that a million times. He's done this a million times. He'd have to be dumb to bring an engagement ring up here. The engagement ring isn't done. He's never going to propose to you anyway.) We get up to the top of the little hill and we're literally on top of the world. It is stunningly gorgeous. I look behind us and the fog was back - it had closed us in on the right and behind us. We were literally alone on this tiny little hill at the top of a gigantic mountain.

Adam says, "I need to grab my camera." So he drops down to his knees and digs through his backpack to get his camera. (As a testament to my complete cluelessness, I was off playing in the snow laughing about how deep it was and how I was sinking.) When I got stuck in the snow, Adam pulled me out. I'm standing slightly behind him, faced away from him (toward the restaurant I couldn't see because of the fog) because I was bored and hungry and waiting for Adam to take a picture.
"Hey Sweetheart? Do you remember when I told you I would make you hike to the top of a mountain to get engaged?"
(Side note: A few years ago, Adam and I were hiking. In true Sarah form, I was complaining mildly the whole time. To shut me up, Adam laughed and said, "If we ever get engaged I'm making you hike to the top of a mountain to get the ring!" It shut me up, alright.)
I turned toward him and looked down at my adorable sweetheart, who was sitting on his knees in the snow with a small wooden box. The most beautiful wooden box I've ever seen. He opened the box to reveal the most perfect engagement ring with the prettiest diamond I have ever seen. Then I heard the most beautiful words ever... the sweet words I have been waiting four years to hear. "Will you marry me?" I lost it immediately. My hands flew to my mouth to try to stifle the sobs as I cried, and cried, and cried. I couldn't believe it was finally happening... I couldn't believe the sweet look in his eyes and the huge smile on his face. I could hardly contain myself.
At this point, the memories get a little fuzzy... but I do remember him pulling me down next to him where I just sat there and cried (happy tears, I promise!) and finally said, "You LIED!" (Well, he DID, didn't he?!) and he laughed at me and hugged me.

I was so incoherent and in such disbelief that I had neither answered him nor taken the ring!!! (I had mittens on, it wasn't exactly my first thought!) So I finally nodded and kissed him (that was my "YES!!!!") and he took my mitten off to give me the ring, which of course set me off into a fresh set of sobs.
It is absolutely perfect, completely gorgeous, and fits me perfectly. (Well, sort of... it's freezing so my fingers are a little smaller.) Adam just grins and says "We're ENGAGED!!!! We're getting married!!!" I just kept squeakily repeating "We're engaged!! We're ENGAGED!!!" (He had two weeks to get used to it - oh yes, he had the ring for TWO WEEKS - and I was still in complete shock!) And we had a sweet tender little kiss in the snow before it dawned on me: "Did you call my dad?!" (Yes... I can't wait to tell you that story.) Then I asked him if he had a testimony of the Church (Yes!) and if he was going to take me to the celestial kingdom (Yes.). And then I was satisfied... we can finally get married.
Adam's favorite picture of me... I have never been so happy in my life. Ever.
This kiss looks weird... not because I'm a terrible kisser, but because I'm still smiling too big to really kiss Adam and I'm still laughing and crying all at the same time. Also, please ignore my ugly hat.
After our sweet little moment, Adam tried to make me put my mitten back on so my hand wouldn't freeze (I DON'T WANT TO!!!! I WANT TO LOOK AT MY RING!!!!) and we went back to the restaurant. Little did I know, both Brian AND Madi knew and so they were grinning ear to ear when we got back and I just laughed and cried some more. I was dying to call my whole family, but 1) we were on top of a mountain, for heaven's sake! and 2) we had ski slopes to traverse! So I called my mom (who amazingly had no idea - my Dad kept it completely secret!) and my brother (who was incredibly shocked) and then we headed down to the bottom of the slope. As we were getting dressed into our ski gear again I realized I shouldn't be wearing this big ring with my mittens, so I had to give it back to Adam :( How frustrating! I could hardly ski for the elation and excitement, and seeing my sweet adorable FIANCE (!!!!!) just sent me into a tizzy and, yes, made me cry a little again. I zoomed to the bottom and was ready to be done for the day, but of course, the others wanted to ski, so I had to succumb. Sad... but then the ski day was finally done. When we got back to the car, Adam gave me my ring back, and I got to call my Dad. ("HE PROPOSED!!!!!!" ".... who?!") And then I almost wrecked at least 45 times on our way home because I kept looking at my ring and ... yes... crying.

It was the perfect proposal. The perfect surprise. The perfect ring. The perfect setting... the perfect-for-me fiance. We are loving life and so excited to get married on August 20th, 2011.
LOVE it!
ReplyDeleteGlad for both of you. You certainly have waited long enough. And if you think you were happy on top of that mountain, the one you feel on the 20th will be infinitely more deep and profound.
ReplyDeleteRoommate! I am still grinning ear-to-ear as I read your engagement story! I am sooo happy for you guys! And your ring is gorgeous! I love that picture where you are both smiling and looking at the camera :) SO cute!
ReplyDeleteWOW!!! That is the best!!!! That's going to be one heck of a scrapbook!!! :)
ReplyDelete